- 10:04 by Ben Lerner (Granta)
- All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews (Faber)
- Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill (Granta)
- Dust by Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor (Granta)
- Family Life by Akhil Sharma (Faber)
- How to Be Both by Ali Smith (Hamish Hamilton) – read, not reviewed… yet.
- Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín (Viking)
- Outline by Rachel Cusk (Faber)
Anyone who’s been keeping up with literary award lists over the last 12 months should be familiar with most of these novels. I’ve read three of them, including the brilliant How To Be Both which Kirstyn and I recently discussed on the Writer And The Critic podcast (episode to appear in your feed shortly). And while I enjoyed the Cusk, I was less enamored by Toibin’s offering.
I’m excited to read the Sharma, Lerner and Offill which I’ve heard plenty about. A quick squizz of the internet tells me that both Owour and Toews have received praise far and wide. It’s also nice to see five women recognised out of the eight nominees.
Overall then it looks like a very strong shortlist. One of these books might even give How To Be Both a run for its money. Except to see reviews later this month.